Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine’s Day Theology


Before I get to the theology there is a story which I must tell which led to the scriptural thought.

A couple of weeks ago we had our coronation which is like prom at school, and I asked this girl to go with me; which she did. The week after that I asked her to go on another date for tomorrow night; I got turned down. This got me thinking about my life and its future…

I thought about this and I did some research in scripture, I came across Matthew 19:10-12, 10The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."  11Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage[c]because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept "

Does anyone else interpret this to mean that Jesus is saying that it is better not to get married? Now I know that the date I talked about in my story is at one end of a spectrum and marriage is on the other, but I can't help but think that at age 16 I understand this verse and have the same feeling I get when I think about my call to ministry. I feel the Holy Spirit in my mind and I have this great guidance feeling that I know what needs to happen. I feel that maybe dating is not for me, maybe its crucial or beneficial to my ministry to not have that connection.

I also thought about Marriage/Relationships and the word Love. Is love in marriage or a relationship different from the love which we should show to our God and every other person on this earth? Should it be different?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. That may be a place where you're being led, but it also may be that you see past many people's need to date for the social aspect of dating. Either way being turned down tends to suck a little bit and bring us back to Earth (sometimes with a loud crash).

    ReplyDelete