Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ethan’s time at Mid Winter 2

So this weekend I have been in Glen Rose at our conference slt event Mid Winter 2. The theme has been go deep, focused around the book of Jonah. It has been brought up within worship and small groups the question of what whale are you in right now. I thought and thought about this question and I came to the conclusion that I'm not in a whale; I don't feel like I'm running away from what God is calling me to do, but maybe the opposite. I think that maybe instead I might be like in a racecar with my call to ministry. I sat down today with my youth worker friends Jason and Abby today and they helped me come to this conclusion; we got on some topic about someone in seminary and I said that I wished that I was in seminary…well long story short my brain became scrambled and my future long term and just my future as a youth is all that I could think about the whole day.

These are just a couple of questions or ideas I've been thinking of: Do I need to just chill, I really need to quit being so freaking serious, or should I not change a thing (but maybe not be so anxious for ordination).

2 comments:

  1. In my time in Seminary I came to the conclusion that waiting is a spiritual discipline. The seasons of both Advent and Lent speak to us that we are always in a sense in waiting for something (for the second coming of Christ, for the celebration of his first coming, for the remembrance of both his death and resurrection). We are always in preparation for the next thing. Really our whole lives are about actively waiting for God's Kingdom come--actively waiting, not passively waiting. I learned also that you've got to embrace that part of it because it is in the waiting that we most often find God. Do the things that you've been called to do now, always knowing that God is continually moving you toward something more...whatever that may be. Sometimes that is personal growth in faith and action and sometimes that is a new location of ministry and sometimes it is graduation, etc.

    You have gifts and passions for where you are now as well as for where you will be in five or ten years. Allow God to use them where you are and grow them for where you will be. And have peace and confidence in the God that has already called you knowing that the same God will lead you there when it is time.

    ...my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as long as you keep asking these questions, then you are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete